Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mahican - Mohawk Hike Trail - Erving, Massachusetts - Hiking, Mountain Climbing, Snowshoeing

I am so behind. My phone seldom had connection and only very basic WiFi, if I could find it while traveling through the mountains of Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania. Kaiya and I started on our hopeful 9,000 mile journey from Massachusetts to Washington.

First stop, Devens Prison Medical Hospital. Not that I planned it this way but I had a coffee pee that was screaming to be released. Exit sign stated public facilities but I couldn't find such a structure so figured it meant go where you don't think you will be caught. Now mind you that my eyes were floating so I missed some major signs such as this one...
Devens Federal Prison Medical Center

I parked only feet away and peed at a sign I did not see at the driver's door stated:
Federal Property
No Parking

Well, no one bothered us but I'm sure they have Kaiya and myself urinating on their property, oops.

Next stop, Erving, Massachusetts, a lovely quaint town. We wouldn't mind going back and spend a weekend. You can fish or whitewater kayak Millers River or go to Rattlesnake Mountain to hike or rock climb. There is a bit of history in this town of 1800 people.
Millers River
Kaiya had a lot of fun and wasn't ready to leave either but we just got on the road and wanted to get more miles behind us.

Next stop, Mahican - Mohawk Trail
Route 2 - Shelburne, Massachusetts
It is stated that this is a long hiking trail but it is still under construction as you can see here:
http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/M&M_Trail_Map.pdf
As soon as you enter it is very fragrant and plush. Be aware of the ticks.
You hike along Deerfield River. On the other side of the river there is a trail near the railroad. The train pulls at least 100 cars, amazing. Kaiya loves the sound of a train, tha-dump, tha-dump, tha-dump.
When you walk through the field go slow and you will see many bird species.
About 3/4 mile in the easy hike ends and a warning sign is posted, Rugged - Pass At Your Own Risk!
Here you will be hiking through private property. Some of the trail is only a foot wide with up to and over a 50 foot drop into the cold swift river. It was very wet, lots of creeks, very muddy and rocky. We suggest waterproof boots and gaitors for people and thick towel and baby wipes for your buddy to clean up aft the hike. This was Kaiya's toughest hike. She did go down a 3 foot drop and later on, into the river near an embankment. I had to keep her on lead for our safety.
The entire trail is well marked.
What a sight to see and hear. I wouldn't mind setting up camp here.
Then, sadly, you come to this about 1 1/2 miles in. In 2009 a property owner with a horse lives in this area. You may see horse prints on the trail. This isn't a loop trail so you just have to turn around. More information here:
http://www.deerfieldriver.org/pdf/M-M_%20Descrip_10-09.pdf
 
We sure enjoyed it and sat along the river for a bit. There are some sections where you are close to the road so you get that noise and they are repairing the power house. I wish I read more before stopping as the trail is much longer in other areas.
Indian Sarus Crane and Scarlet Ibis Bird Mug Porcelain MugSeveral sizes and styles to choose from. Double sided photo to make this a great mug for lefties also.

 http://www.zazzle.com/indian_sarus_crane_and_scarlet_ibis_bird_mug_specialty_mug-183015418038510085

Frisbee Golf Game...Fun game for the whole family.

You can also hang the basket on trees, Google for instructions, I enjoy Frisbee Golf!

I found this on mycomputerismycanvas.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment