Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Commerical Fishing Vessels, FindAGrave and Noah Movie

Yesterday I went to the theater to see Noah. Loved it! I wouldn't say it was very bibical based, lot of scifi. I'll rate it 5 stars.

Today Kaiya and I had to go back to the bloody RMV. At least this time I was given a "Go Past Go Pass" and was called up in 15 minutes and finally registered my new to me Chrysler Town and Country Caravan. It only took 3 visits to register the camper and van. The RMV couldn't give me all the paperwork I needed in one visit, grrrr.
Crystal Ice House loading up the Diane Marie from New Bedford, Massachusetts, with ice to keep the fish fresh. They are heading out for about 7 days. Government has only given them 4 fishing trips per year now. America ships out most of our seafood, mainly to China so we must eat a lot if imported. To me this does not make sense. The government states the ocean is running out of fish but that is not true. Also the boats are not allowed to keep everything they catch so a lot of dead critters are tossed back into the sea. The government tells you what you can catch, when and how much per year. So many restrictions and it is getting worse yearly. New Bedford is still the largest fishing fleet in the world even though they have lost half of their boats due to government buy back deals about 20 years ago.

Aft the RMV we walked to the Historical New Bedford Waterfront and chatted with many fisherman, some heading out, some prepping to head out. The weather was perfect, low 60F, sunny, almost no breeze. I even met up with a great guy, Joe Swift, the owner of Crystal Ice House. They ice up the boats and people can buy bags or blocks of ice, some fill up the back of their pick-up truck.
The blue buckets are loaded with gurry, small shark heads, red fish, small munk fish and more uckies. The green things are plastic coated cages loaded with gurry to trap the lobsters so they weigh about 50 pounds each. Just imagine having a fish in your yard in the sun and the stench, now you know what the boat smells like. It takes a long time to get this smell out of your clothing and sometimes out of your skin. Lemon juice works the best.

Crane loaded up on a barge. A new wooded pier was built along the left side of the barge. They just finished it today.
I am hoping they are going to attempt to restore the Schooner Ernestina again since they covered it. SCHOONER ERNESTINA, Ex. Effie M.Morrissey, was built in 1894 at the James and Tarr Shipyard for the Gloucester fishing fleet. Under Captain Bob Bartlett she sailed to within 600 miles of the North Pole, and later brought immigrants to the U.S. under the power of sail. Returned to the US in 1982 as a gift from the newly independent Cape Verdean people, she sailed as an educator until 2005.

Then we headed off to my pulmonary appointment only to find out it was last week so now I have to wait two more agonizing weeks for my PFT results. So I stopped at Rufus R Wordell Cemetery in Westport, Massachusetts and photoed the headstones. Looks like someone has already posted them on FindAGrave.com. The cemetery didn't have a name on it so I couldn't check before I spent time there but it was worth it. I photoed every stone.
 And finally I get home and loading up the camper with grub, kitchen and bathroom stuff, movies, books and more and still a ton more to do. I had to stop, my lungs ached pretty good. Dang Sarcoidosis!

Today I did get something made up, a unisex trifold wallet
 http://www.zazzle.com/sailboating_trifold_nylon_wallet-256072884804523635

The photo is customizable and can be used on several style wallets.

We hope everyone has a wonderful day/night.

Kaiya and Spirit


No comments:

Post a Comment