Sunday, April 13, 2014

Great Hike Weather and Vintage Fish Pond Unearthed

I haven't written in a couple of days, been a bit blue. Upset we are still here and not on the road.

After many hours of a high threat of rain today the sun decided to come out, winds died down and you could feel the true temperature, low 60's F, love it. So Kaiya and I decided to head out in the local woods of Acushnet, Massachusetts.

We haven't been able to go on our trip yet. The rear spring brackets on the van are really bad, one snapped, one is snapping. Getting new brackets and springs Tuesday. Then Friday morning there was a puddle under the van, radiator is leaking. Mechanic going to look at it Tuesday to see if it is repairable or needs replacing. Then the battery for the camper disappeared and I need 2 6 volt true deep cycle batteries, $500. I need some serious sales if we think we are going anywhere soon.

I don't know anything about this property but recently someone started clearing it for some reason and look at the man made fish pond, so cool.
At the end is the fountain. And there is a stone wall inside the pond to divide it, for what ever reason, and one side is a little deeper than the other. The wall was surrounded by all different age trees.
And not far from the pond were these old trees, a couple even a little bigger than this. So sad to see them cut down.
Kaiya says Hi! She is now 10 months old and getting a little better at leash pulling. She is having a hard time learning not to pull or jump on people when she is excited.
I thought this man made fountain is amazing. The bottom part is a fish, maybe a monk fish, really ugly. I wonder what the top part is? Now I'm sorry I didn't move the ivy. An angel?
Deep in the backyard was the fireplace. Behind and around it was the garden.
You walk behind the fireplace along the path and you come across this wall.
Another photo of the wall. It is just a little bit longer than what you see. At the other end is also a pathway entrance. The garden was on both sides with this very wide path (driveway?) in the middle. Someone sure enjoyed their yard at one time.
We moved onwards on our walk and ended up in the woods and weaved from one trail to another. This is Deep Brook.
I love photos of water as much as I enjoy listening to it. Today we was able to cross Deep Brook, finally, after 6 months.
The birds are very hungry. Many trees look like this and worse, most trees are dead.
The ruins of a hive.
A long flooded section of an old lumber road. Kaiya was running all through this. What a mud bucket she was. And she would rather lap this water than the brook water, strange pup. We walked along it to a dry section and found a couple more paths. I later learned that one path lead to a person's house while another path lead us to a Peckham Road where my distant family cemetery is/was, 2-3 hike miles. Stones gone, caskets remain. Who knows, maybe can grab another path off the roadway. It has been pretty built up over the years so not sure.
A critter made itself a new home. Yep, Spring is here, yippy! Peepers peeping, frog eggs everywhere.
Kaiya found something left behind, probably from a coyote. She found blood and/or guts as soon as we got in the woods. Lots of deer tracks and foxes have been showing up at people's house as of late.

We are pooped. It was a great day. I am so happy she forced me out of the house.
April is Sarcoidosis Awareness Month in the United States. I have Systemic Sarcoidosis (every organ) and my lungs just got 4 new nodules in each lobe. I am out of the remission I was in.
 I thought these eggs looked so good so I wanted to share them with you. Kaiya loves scrambled eggs with cheese. I don't blame her.

We hope you enjoyed today's blog and hope you had a super weekend.

Until next time,

Spirit and Kaiya

No comments:

Post a Comment